Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Taxing Plastic Bags...

So, there's a petition out there to encourage San Francisco in their notion of putting a fee or tax on the use of plastic bags from the grocery store. I like this idea a lot (and I put my name on the petition). Right now, I sometimes (when the check-out clerk bothers to care) get 5 cents off my ticket for bringing my own bag. Frankly, I'd rather knock a penny or so off each item in my bag, and pay 5cents for the bag if I forget my own bag, or need an extra.

I'd like to see this become ubiquitous, frankly.

Reduce, Re-use, Recycle. I do recycle my plastic bags when I have them, often after re-using them a bit. Wouldn't it be even better, though, to just reduce my intake? I'm working on my part of that... Won't you join me?

2 comments:

Laura said...

We do all get all excited about the last R, Recycle, when the first R, Reuse, really has a much greater impact. Less packaging to begin with solves a lot of problems.

I am also pleasantly surprised whan a checker asks me if I would like a bag before they shove all my purchases into a 'free' plastic bag. I cheerfully say, "No thanks!" :)

lindes said...

The first R is Reduce, not Reuse. Reuse is #2. :-)

Still, both are above Recycle... And now you're doing #1 and #2, both! Yay!